Well, it’s time to get your scare on and if you love Halloween, Philadelphia won’t disappoint. If you want to do things as a family this Halloween, you might want to check out these places though I would not recommend taking the little ones. Each and every year, you and your family can have the cookies scared right out of you at the Eastern Penitentiary. It’s been rated the top haunted house in the country by AOL. You can be scared now through November 3rd. If you are a fan of Psycho, you might want to check out the Bates Motel, voted America’s scariest haunts according to the Travel Channel. And if you want to have the begeebies scared out of you all night long and really, why wouldn’t you, you might want to check out Horrorfest at the scariest farm around, Shady Brook Farm.
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 package (14 ounces) vibrant green Wilton candy melts
- 1 package (14 ounces) white Wilton candy melts
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) Werther’s® Original Chewy Caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 large tart apples, room temperature
- 8 lollipop sticks
- Assorted candies such as jimmies, M&M’s and Reese’s Pieces
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth and set aside. In another microwave-safe bowl, microwave melt the green candy melts. Repeat with white candy melts.
- In another microwave-safe bowl, microwave the caramels and water, uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir. Heat 30-45 seconds longer or until caramels are melted; stir until smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a stick into each; dip into caramel mixture, turning to coat. Place on prepared pan. Drizzle with melted chocolate and candy melts. Decorate as desired with melted chocolate, candy melts and candies. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 8 servings.
Have a happy and safe Halloween. If you have any great photos that you would like to share, please email them to me and I can post them.
Renée Porsia is an Associate Broker with RE/MAX Action Realty.
- Werther’s Original Caramel Apple Filled Hard Candies (tammysproductreviews.wordpress.com)